Tuesday 14 February 2012

Writer's Retreat


It sounds perfect – a country hotel in the Lake District, snow on the ground, log fire, leather sofa, no distractions. Sarah had a good book to read so it was just me and a laptop. Ideas would flow.

Well, first of all, it was the Lake District and there was no way either of us were staying cooped up inside all day with all that wonderful snow-covered countryside to explore. And there was a pool. Had to go for a swim. But I’m not used to swimming so after half an hour I clambered out and my legs felt as though I’d done a six month tour in orbit on the ISS.
     Then there was the food. The deal included a three-course meal. A superb meal. I haven’t eaten three courses in years. So, full stomach, a swim, a day of walking in the fells, proximity to the bar. And of course the log fire and the leather sofa. Not sure whether it was me or the laptop that went into hibernation first.

Day two – went down with man-flu. Felt like crap. Went for a hike. Felt even more like crap. Did some writing in the evening hoping for the ideas to flow, but the only flowing came from my chapped red nose.

Day three – a good breakfast, a visit to Hawkshead then back home. It was 24-hour man-flu. Should be 100% by the time I return to the day job tomorrow.

No comments: